Renowned DAX experts Alberto Ferrari and Marco Russo came up with their book “Introducing Microsoft Power BI” which can help design data models for maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
This book introduces the basic techniques for shaping data models in Excel and Power BI. It’s meant for readers who are new to data modeling as well as for experienced data modelers looking for tips from the experts. If you want to use Power BI or Excel to analyze data, the many real-world examples in this book will help you look at your reports in a different way-like experienced data modelers do. As you’ll soon see, with the right data model, the correct answer is always a simple one!
By reading this book, you will:
- Gain an understanding of the basics of data modeling, including tables, relationships, and keys
- Familiarize yourself with star schemas, snowflakes, and common modeling techniques
- Learn the importance of granularity
- Discover how to use multiple fact tables, like sales and purchases, in a complete data model
- Manage calendar-related calculations by using date tables
- Track historical attributes, like previous addresses of customers or manager assignments
- Use snapshots to compute quantity on hand
- Work with multiple currencies in the most efficient way
- Analyze events that have durations, including overlapping durations
- Learn what data model you need to answer your specific business questions
Download: Introducing Microsoft Power BI